Being hit by a drunk driver can result in severe injuries, hospitalization, or even death. If you are hit by a drunk driver in Tennessee, you have specific options to protect your rights and get fair compensation. Here’s what to know if you are hit by a drunk driver:
Steps to Take If You are Hit by a Drunk Driver
- Keep yourself calm, and don’t let your emotions get the best of you.
- If you can, get to safety and assist other accident victims.
- No matter how small the accident appears to be, call 911 and get emergency medical treatment for your injuries.
- Report the incident to the authorities and provide a thorough statement.
- If you suspect intoxication, gather physical evidence and take notes.
- Take pictures/video and write down the vehicle’s license plate, model, make, and color.
- Collect and document the police report, accident site photos, witness statements and testimonies.
- Document all medical costs, treatments, medical appointments, therapy sessions, and your account of the accident.
- Notify your insurance company of the situation.
- Hire an experienced attorney to submit your injury claim and to assist you in getting the settlement you deserve from the insurance company.
Who Is Held Liable for Drunk Driving Accidents?
Drunk driving accidents are complicated because many parties may be held accountable. Drunk drivers are commonly involved in accidents involving many vehicles, resulting in a fault proportion being assigned to several drivers, implying that other people may also be held guilty. Commercial vehicle accidents might be significantly more complicated. Even if a drunk driver is plainly to blame for the accident, evidence of where they were and what they were doing can be crucial if they were at a business that provides alcohol.
Furthermore, Tennessee’s dram shop laws allow people harmed in a car accident caused by a drunk driver to seek compensation from any institution that gave the drunk driver an excessive amount of alcohol. A competent personal injury lawyer can assess every aspect of your case and calculate a reasonable settlement figure to compensate you for your injuries, damages, or loss.
In conclusion, we hope you enjoyed reading our blog on what to know if you are hit by a drunk driver. If you’re unfortunate enough to be in an accident, it can harm your physical, mental, and financial well-being. Nonetheless, you don’t have to face the difficulties and financial consequences on your own. Hire an expert personal injury attorney right away to fight for your legal rights and help you get the financial compensation you deserve.
Because we care…
Stillman & Friedland Attorneys