As accident attorneys, we have seen the devastating effects that a motorcycle accident can have on a person’s life. The injuries sustained from a motorcycle accident can be severe and life-altering. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, motorcyclists are about 28 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a motor vehicle traffic crash. As a victim, taking the necessary steps to protect your rights and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve is crucial. Here’s what you need to know about protecting your rights as a motorcycle accident victim:
Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident
- Seek Medical Attention: The first and most important step after a motorcycle accident is to seek medical attention. Even if you don’t feel pain or discomfort, a professional medic must check for injuries. Some injuries may not be apparent immediately, and delaying medical treatment could worsen your condition.
- Contact the Police: Call the police immediately after a motorcycle accident, even if the accident seems minor. The police will document the accident and create a report that can be used as evidence in your case.
- Gather Evidence: If you are able, gather as much evidence as possible at the accident scene. Take photos of the accident, the vehicles involved, and any injuries you sustained. Get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Contact an Attorney: Contact an experienced motorcycle accident attorney immediately. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process and protect your rights.
Protecting Your Rights
To further protect your rights after a motorcycle accident, it’s essential to be cautious when speaking to insurance adjusters or representatives from the other party involved.
- Know Your Rights: As a motorcycle accident victim, you have the right to be compensated for your property damage, injuries, and other losses resulting from the accident. It is essential to understand your rights and work with a knowledgeable attorney who can help you protect them.
- Document Everything: Keep detailed records of all lost wages, medical expenses, and other damages resulting from the accident. Your attorney will need this information to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Only Accept a Settlement With an Attorney: Insurance companies often try to settle quickly after a motorcycle accident. However, these settlements may not adequately compensate you for your losses. Before accepting any settlement offer, consult with an experienced attorney to ensure that your rights are protected. Any statements you make could be used against you in court. It’s best to let your attorney handle all communication related to the accident.
- File Your Claim On Time: Be sure to file your claim within the statute of limitations for your state. Failing to do so could prevent you from seeking compensation for your injuries and damages.
It’s important to remember that as a victim of a motorcycle accident, you have rights and options. By taking the necessary steps to protect those rights, you can ensure that you receive fair compensation and move forward with your life.
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, remember you have legal options. By seeking the help of an experienced attorney, you can ensure that your rights are protected. Remember to document everything, only accept a settlement by consulting an attorney, and file your claim on time to avoid missing out on compensation.
If you or someone you care about has been in an accident in Tennessee, call our Nashville office at 615-244-2111 for a free, confidential consultation. We’ll review your case at no cost to you. We work on a contingency basis, so you will only pay something if we get a settlement or jury award for you.
Stay safe out there.
Because we care…